Monday, 13 February 2012

ENTRY 5


The Trinidad and Tobago culture has influenced the way I communicate in many ways.  Trinidad and Tobago is made up of mixed races, predominantly of African and Indian heritage and because of this diversity the average Trinbagoian is quite tolerant notwithstanding his or her race.  
I find that I don’t laugh at other peoples accents. However, I gesticulate a lot, using my hands to communicate. I have also been told by other cultures that Trinidadians seem to be always happy and the way we speak sound as if we are singing .
            As for my verbal and non verbal communication, my ex husband is Jamaican so when I was around his family I would have to speak slowly in order for them to understand what I was saying.  Moreover, a number of Trinbagonians, including myself, do not pronounce th as they should.  For instance, I know that sometimes I say tree for the number three. This obviously influences my communication with people who are not of my culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment